Previous Editions of the ANZCCART Newsletter
Please refer to the following previous editions of the new ANZCCART Newsletter and the former News below:
Click on the links below to view major articles in each edition and to download a copy. Please note that editions prior to 1999 may be very large to download.
2021: ANZCCART Newsletter, Issue 5-16
2020: ANZCCART Newsletter, Issue 1-4
2019: ANZCCART News Volume 32, Issue 1
- Moral Status and Obligations to Animals in Research
- Vale: Julia Nicholls
- Sharing unused samples - the ethical way to study rare and endangered species?
- 2019 ANZCCART Conference
- News from New Zealand
- Articles of Interest
2018: Volume 31, Issues 1-2
- Survey about the 3Rs in Australia
- 2018 ANZCCART Conference and Call for Abstracts
- Can Ethics Committees provide improved monitoring advice for wildlife?
- ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award 2018
- Vale: John Schofield
- 2018 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award Recipients Honoured
- ANZCCART 2018 Conference Review
- 2018 ANZCCART (NZ) Animal Care Award Winners
2017: Volume 30, Issues 1-3
- The 3Rs - Is it a question of perspective?
- Changes in the ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award
- ANZCCART Conference 2017 - Maintaining Social License in a Changing World
- Moves to Tighten Research Statistical Parameters and Their Potential Ramifications for Animal Use
- ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Announced
- In Search of a Category C (Animal Welfare) Member for Your AEC?
- 2017 ANZCCART Conference in Review
- ANZCCART Formally Endorses ARRIVE and PREPARE Guidelines
- NHMRC publishes New Guidelines
2016: Volume 29, Issues 1-3
- Warning about radio-collar design
- Animal welfare as a socioscientific issue: Engaging adolescents in science
- Amendments to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act 1986 (Victoria)
- ANZCCART Guidelines for the Humane Killing of Cane Toads
- Updated Principles and Guidelines for the Care and Use of Non-Human Primates
- Victorian Animal Welfare Under Review
- ANZCCART is on the move
- Animal Ethics Committees: The Missing 'W' Word
- ANZCCART has moved
2015: Volume 28, Issues 1-3
- Experimental Design: Balancing Statistics with Biology
- Vale:- Dr Yvette Chen
- Dr David Bayvel QSO
- Angus Campbell David Bayvel: An Honorary Life Member of ANZCCART
- Pilot Study Design
- The Question of Enrichment
- Research, testing and teaching amendments to New Zealand's animal welfare legislation
2014: Volume 27, Issues 1-4
- Seven Simple Tips for Improving Welfare in the Laboratory
- Animals in Teaching: the debate continues
- To train or not to train, that is the question! Should we formally train all AEC members?
- Ask a simple question
- Animal Welfare Cuts Across the Board
- Why undergraduate science students must undertake practical studies involving animals
- Plastic fantastic - tragic! A study of the use of plastic materials in birds' nests
- Report on ANZCCART at Queenstown in 2014
- Conversations to Improve Animal Welfare in Research and Teaching
- Protecting Australian native mammals in research and teaching
- Testing drugs in animal models
- Can we further refine humane killing with CO2
- Science, society and the ethics of animal use
2013: Volume 26, Issues 1-3 & ANZCCART News survey results 2013
- Is it finally time to do the maths?
- Holisitic approaches to animals in teaching: who learns from whom?
- ANZCCART NZ Board Member receives New Year Honour
- The New Code Has a New Name
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2013
- 2013 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Named
- Editorial: What if Extinction is not Forever?
- Animal Welfare Decision Faces Legal Challenge
- Should undergraduate students be allowed to undertake laboratory and/or field studies involving animals?
- Code Update
- ANZCCART to establish a College of Experts
- Nominations for Honorary Life membership of ANZCCART
- ANZCCART News Reader Survey
2012: Volume 25, Issues 1-4
- ANZCCART to mark its 25th Anniversary
- Of mice and men - reflections on ANZCCART's role in the ethics of animal use
- The Role of an AEC in 2012 - An exercise in Compliance or an Ethical Review
- Breathing through my nose
- From the sheep paddock to a newborn baby's cot
- Models, motor cars and noise: an alternative perspective on study design engineering for the use of experimental animals
- Laboratory mice: are you getting more than you paid for?
- Dairy fractions and their uses
- Working with animals in New Zealand
- 2012 ANZCCART Conference
- Lifelong Commitment to Animal Welfare Recognized by ANZCCART
- 2012 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Annuunced
- Improving Animal Welfare in Agriculture and Primary Industries Teaching in NSW Schools
- Otago Zebrafish Facility - Fishing for Answers
- ANZCCART the First 25 Years
2011: Volume 24, Issues 1-4
- Review of the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- Student Essay: Animal-Based Research in New Zealand
- ANZCCART Honours Lifetime Achievements
- AEC Member of the Year for 2011
- Student Essay: In Vivo to In Vitro. The Future of Animal-Based Research in New Zealand
- ANZCCART Conference 2011 Report
- Developing Alternatives
- Reduction of Animal Use in Teaching Despite Increasing Class Size
- Disaster Management in Animal Facilities
2010: Volume 23, Issues 1-2
2009: Volume 22, Issue 1
- 2009 - A Year of Animal Welfare Milestones
- In Memorium - Dr John Barnett
- Animals Used for Research and Teaching. A Category D Perspective, or Ds Matter a Lot
- Regulation of animal use in research, testing and teaching in New Zealand - the black, the white and the grey
2008: Volume 21, Issues 1-2
- Infrared thermography and heart rate variability for non-invasive assessment of animal welfare
- Guidelines to promote the wellbeing of animals used for scientific purposes: The assessment and alleviation of pain and distress in research animals
- AAWS 2008 International Animal Welfare Conference
- AAWS Comes of Age
- NHMRC Animal Welfare Guidelines to Promote the Wellbeing of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes
- 2008 ANZCCART Conference: The media gets it wrong again
- New and improved research technologies in animal research
- Animal Care Technician's Award, New Zealand
2007: Volume 20, Issues 1-2
- ANZCCART's 20th Anniversary
- Australia and United Kingdom agree to cooperate on veterinary medicines regulations
- Managing a Colony of Spiny Mice (Acomys cahirinus) for Perinatal Research
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2007
- Recent actions arising from the 2003 ANZCCART New Zealand Conference
2006: Volume 19, Issues 1-2
- The Regulatory Framework for Reviewing External Proposals Submitted to an Animal Ethics Committee
- Revision of the ANZCCART Publication "Euthanasia of Animals used for Scientific Purposes"
- Strategic Review of ANZCCART and our Role
- AAWS Update
- Report of the International Consensus Meeting on Carbon Dioxide Euthanasia of Laboratory Animals
- Conflict of Interest and Independence: A Reminder
- European Union approves new alternatives to animal testing of drugs and chemicals
2005: Volume 18, Issues 1-2
- Why [some philosophers think] using animals in scientific research is seriously wrong
- Introduction to the Politics of Animal Protection
- So what exactly is "Animal Rights"
- The Australian Welfare Strategy
- Changes in the Board of ANZCCART
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2005
- Changes to the Use of Animals for Teaching Scientific Concepts in Victorian Schools
2004: Volume 17, Issues 1-3
- Fact Sheet: The Role of Veterinarians in the Care and Use of Animals in Research and Teaching
- Student conscientious objection - should policy precede practice?
- Ethics and invertebrates: a French view.
- The use of animals for scientific purposes - the Queensland perspective.
- Animal replacement and pain minimisation.
- The medical relevance of using particular species in disease models - lessons from fetal sheep studies down under.
- Moving towards a national legislative approach to animal welfare.
- How humane is induction with common agents of anaesthesia and euthanasia in laboratory rodents?
- Cleverness and consciousness in animals: pronghorns and fiddler crabs.
- Recent advances in anaesthesia in guinea pigs.
- Can big physics help save animals?
2003: Volume 16, Issues 1-3
- Ethical decisions- responsibilities and outcomes
- Functional and Chemical Genomics in the Zebrafish.
- Welfare considerations in aquatic animals.
- Animal welfare in Western Australia.
- Morality and animal research.
- Monitoring the Fate of Wild, Native Bird Populations: 'Invasive' versus Non-invasive Techniques
- The Effects of History and Habitat on the Genetic and Relatedness Structure of the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat, Lasiorhinus latifrons
- Meeting community expectations for animal-based science: an Australian perspective
- Towards humane vertebrate pest control.
- Animal research in Tasmania
- Compliance issues: Compliance with the legislation governing the care and use of animals in research and teaching
- High tech animal facility provides ideal environment
2002: Volume 15, Issues 1-3
- Ethical issues relating to transgenic animal production
- Welfare audits for farm animals and implications for transgenic animals
- Animal use in veterinary science teaching
- Queensland’s new Animal Welfare and Protection Act
- Learning, animals and the environment changing the face of the future
- Respect for animals through the eyes of a molecular evolutionist
- The moral status of animals
- Animal welfare in institutions of teaching and research: where have we come from and where are the goal posts now?
- Research priority areas for the Alternative Sustainable Swine Production Program
- Conflicts of interest affecting the role of veterinarians in animal welfare
- From menagerie to conservation centre - the changing role of zoos in world-wide conservation programs
- Use of pouch young removal and cross-fostering techniques to accelerate breeding and recruitment in the threatened Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby, Petrogale penicillata
2001: Volume 14, Issues 1-4
- The culture and agriculture of animal production
- Experimental research with laboratory animals: one sex or both?
- Review of issues relating to animals in health research
- Factors contributing to the acceptance of biotechnology
- The sheep-an ideal model for biomedical research?
- The current status of alternatives to animal experiments in China
- Marsupials as models for biomedical research
- Sustainability and animal welfare with reference to developments in poultry welfare
- New Zealand Royal Commission on genetic modification
- Fact Sheet: Managing fallow deer (Dama dama) and red deer (Cervus elaphus) for animal house research
- The welfare of transgenic animals - an AEC lay member's perspective
- Legal and ethical aspects of working with wildlife, with particular reference to Africa.
- Non-destructive and non-invasive sampling of volatile compounds produced by live animals.
- Independent review of AECs.
2000: Volume 13, Issues 1-4
- Dr Michael Festing to lead workshops this year in Australia and New Zealand
- Animal welfare legislation in Australia for the future - what scope is there for a national approach?
- Changes to animal welfare legislation around Australia
- Facts Sheet: Development and Use of Transgenic Rodents in Preclinical Research - Practical Issues
- Genetically modified mice: past, present and future
- Serological evidence for the presence of herpes B virus in macaques in Australia
- Microbanding: a low impact permanent marking technique for small reptiles and frogs as an alternative to toe clipping
- Facts Sheet: How to Reduce the Number of Animals Used in Research by Improving Experimental Design and Statistics
- Mapping the moral landscape - bioethics, biotechnology and science
- To change or not to change? A question for humane education
- Animal experimentation legislation in Hong Kong
- Report on the possible effects of cold and wind on sheep housed in the CSIRO Animal Production, Armidale, large animal house
- Zebrafish - Do we need another vertebrate model?
- Research using nonhuman primates: Only Two Rs?
- Comments on the introduction of wild caught animals to the laboratory
- Should an animal welfare officer be a veterinarian?
1999: Volume 12, Issues 1-4
- Facts Sheet: The Frog and Toad as Experimental Animals (Revised 2009)
- Committees and conflict resolution
- Ducks as a model for studies of human hepatitis
- Careful how you hold me - a review of a training package
- Facts Sheet: on the Importation, Quarantine and Monitoring of Laboratory Animals, Particularly Rodents, for Issue in Australia
- Animal Experimentation Ethics Committees in the United Kingdom
- Replacement and reduction of animal usage in teaching physiology and pharmacology at the University of Queensland
- Flooring for housed sheep
- The use of laboratory animals in South Taiwan
- Third World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences
- DNA sequence similarity: where is the baseline?
- Humanity and the great apes
- Ethical and welfare aspects of transgenic animals.
- Facts Sheet: Pain - Assessment, Alleviation and Avoidance in Laboratory Animals
- Do fish feel pain?
- Minimising the harm and maximising the benefits of animal use in science
- New Animal Welfare Act in New Zealand
1998: Volume 11, Issues 1-4
- Promoting awareness of the Three Rs
- Can animals behave irrationally?
- Numbers used for animal experimentation in Australia and New Zealand
- Fact Sheet: The Importance of Non-statistical Design in Refining Animal Experimentation
- How many animals?
- Animal replacement and reduction: multimedia teaching aids in behavioural pharmacology
- The current legal status of animal experimentation in Israel
- Fact Sheet: Occupational Health and Safety in the Animal House and Associated Laboratory Facilities
- Transgenesis and animals in research - an overview of animal welfare considerations
- Regulation of animal use in research, testing and teaching in New Zealand
- Animal groups put the Australian research community 'on notice' over AEC performance
- The Boyd Group
- Chytridiomycosis - a new disease of amphibians
- Two Massey University's initiatives to promote Animal Welfare
1997: Volume 10, Issues 1-4
- Facts sheet on The Dog
- Review of the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- The value of AECs
- The functioning of a busy NZ AEC
- The use of pigs for research with examples of research on housing and handling
- An improved method for housing laboratory frogs and toads using a miniature ecosystem
- Modular bioreactors as an alternative to ascitic fluid production of monoclonal antibodies
- Facts Sheet: Variables in Animal Based Research: Part 1. Phenotypic Variability in Experimental Animals
- The National Statistics Package - background and progress
- Polyclonal antibody production and adjuvants - a dilemma
- ANZCCART - The First 10 years
- USA Animal Welfare Centre
- The establishment of a new Animal Welfare Centre in Melbourne
- Animal Welfare in New Zealand - Concepts, Committees, Consultation and Codes of Practice
- Professor David Morton visits Australia
- Survey of New Zealand Animal Ethics Committees
ANZCCART News: Index to Volumes 1 - 10, 1988 - 1997