Please refer to this years editions of the ANZCCART News below:
Volume 32, issue 1
Inside this edition
- Moral Status and Obligations to Animals in Research
- Vale: Julia Nicholls
- Sharing unused samples - the ethical way to study rare and endangered species?
- 2019 ANZCCART Conference
- News from New Zealand
Recent articles of interest
- Is it Time for Australia to be More Open About Research Involving Animals?
- Funnel-web Spider Venom Found to Contain Potent Killer of Skin Cancer Cells
- How to Fix the Sex Bias in Preclinical Research
- Researchers Question Mirror Test After Fish Show Surprising Cognitive Abilities
Previous editions of the ANZCCART News
Click on the links below to view major articles in each edition and to download a copy. Please note that editions prior to 1999 may be very large to download.
2018: Volume 31, Issues 1-2
- Survey about the 3Rs in Australia
- 2018 ANZCCART Conference and Call for Abstracts
- Can Ethics Committees provide improved monitoring advice for wildlife?
- ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award 2018
- Vale: John Schofield
- 2018 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award Recipients Honoured
- ANZCCART 2018 Conference Review
- 2018 ANZCCART (NZ) Animal Care Award Winners
2017: Volume 30, Issues 1-3
- The 3Rs - Is it a question of perspective?
- Changes in the ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Award
- ANZCCART Conference 2017 - Maintaining Social License in a Changing World
- Moves to Tighten Research Statistical Parameters and Their Potential Ramifications for Animal Use
- ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Announced
- In Search of a Category C (Animal Welfare) Member for Your AEC?
- 2017 ANZCCART Conference in Review
- ANZCCART Formally Endorses ARRIVE and PREPARE Guidelines
- NHMRC publishes New Guidelines
2016: Volume 29, Issues 1-3
- Warning about radio-collar design
- Animal welfare as a socioscientific issue: Engaging adolescents in science
- Amendments to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act 1986 (Victoria)
- ANZCCART Guidelines for the Humane Killing of Cane Toads
- Updated Principles and Guidelines for the Care and Use of Non-Human Primates
- Victorian Animal Welfare Under Review
- ANZCCART is on the move
- Animal Ethics Committees: The Missing 'W' Word
- ANZCCART has moved
2015: Volume 28, Issues 1-3
- Experimental Design: Balancing Statistics with Biology
- Vale:- Dr Yvette Chen
- Dr David Bayvel QSO
- Angus Campbell David Bayvel: An Honorary Life Member of ANZCCART
- Pilot Study Design
- The Question of Enrichment
- Research, testing and teaching amendments to New Zealand's animal welfare legislation
2014: Volume 27, Issues 1-4
- Seven Simple Tips for Improving Welfare in the Laboratory
- Animals in Teaching: the debate continues
- To train or not to train, that is the question! Should we formally train all AEC members?
- Ask a simple question
- Animal Welfare Cuts Across the Board
- Why undergraduate science students must undertake practical studies involving animals
- Plastic fantastic - tragic! A study of the use of plastic materials in birds' nests
- Report on ANZCCART at Queenstown in 2014
- Conversations to Improve Animal Welfare in Research and Teaching
- Protecting Australian native mammals in research and teaching
- Testing drugs in animal models
- Can we further refine humane killing with CO2
- Science, society and the ethics of animal use
2013: Volume 26, Issues 1-3 & ANZCCART News survey results 2013
- Is it finally time to do the maths?
- Holisitic approaches to animals in teaching: who learns from whom?
- ANZCCART NZ Board Member receives New Year Honour
- The New Code Has a New Name
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2013
- 2013 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Named
- Editorial: What if Extinction is not Forever?
- Animal Welfare Decision Faces Legal Challenge
- Should undergraduate students be allowed to undertake laboratory and/or field studies involving animals?
- Code Update
- ANZCCART to establish a College of Experts
- Nominations for Honorary Life membership of ANZCCART
- ANZCCART News Reader Survey
2012: Volume 25, Issues 1-4
- ANZCCART to mark its 25th Anniversary
- Of mice and men - reflections on ANZCCART's role in the ethics of animal use
- The Role of an AEC in 2012 - An exercise in Compliance or an Ethical Review
- Breathing through my nose
- From the sheep paddock to a newborn baby's cot
- Models, motor cars and noise: an alternative perspective on study design engineering for the use of experimental animals
- Laboratory mice: are you getting more than you paid for?
- Dairy fractions and their uses
- Working with animals in New Zealand
- 2012 ANZCCART Conference
- Lifelong Commitment to Animal Welfare Recognized by ANZCCART
- 2012 ANZCCART AEC Member of the Year Annuunced
- Improving Animal Welfare in Agriculture and Primary Industries Teaching in NSW Schools
- Otago Zebrafish Facility - Fishing for Answers
- ANZCCART the First 25 Years
2011: Volume 24, Issues 1-4
- Review of the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- Student Essay: Animal-Based Research in New Zealand
- ANZCCART Honours Lifetime Achievements
- AEC Member of the Year for 2011
- Student Essay: In Vivo to In Vitro. The Future of Animal-Based Research in New Zealand
- ANZCCART Conference 2011 Report
- Developing Alternatives
- Reduction of Animal Use in Teaching Despite Increasing Class Size
- Disaster Management in Animal Facilities
2010: Volume 23, Issues 1-2
2009: Volume 22, Issue 1
- 2009 - A Year of Animal Welfare Milestones
- In Memorium - Dr John Barnett
- Animals Used for Research and Teaching. A Category D Perspective, or Ds Matter a Lot
- Regulation of animal use in research, testing and teaching in New Zealand - the black, the white and the grey
2008: Volume 21, Issues 1-2
- Infrared thermography and heart rate variability for non-invasive assessment of animal welfare
- Guidelines to promote the wellbeing of animals used for scientific purposes: The assessment and alleviation of pain and distress in research animals
- AAWS 2008 International Animal Welfare Conference
- AAWS Comes of Age
- NHMRC Animal Welfare Guidelines to Promote the Wellbeing of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes
- 2008 ANZCCART Conference: The media gets it wrong again
- New and improved research technologies in animal research
- Animal Care Technician's Award, New Zealand
2007: Volume 20, Issues 1-2
- ANZCCART's 20th Anniversary
- Australia and United Kingdom agree to cooperate on veterinary medicines regulations
- Managing a Colony of Spiny Mice (Acomys cahirinus) for Perinatal Research
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2007
- Recent actions arising from the 2003 ANZCCART New Zealand Conference
2006: Volume 19, Issues 1-2
- The Regulatory Framework for Reviewing External Proposals Submitted to an Animal Ethics Committee
- Revision of the ANZCCART Publication "Euthanasia of Animals used for Scientific Purposes"
- Strategic Review of ANZCCART and our Role
- AAWS Update
- Report of the International Consensus Meeting on Carbon Dioxide Euthanasia of Laboratory Animals
- Conflict of Interest and Independence: A Reminder
- European Union approves new alternatives to animal testing of drugs and chemicals
2005: Volume 18, Issues 1-2
- Why [some philosophers think] using animals in scientific research is seriously wrong
- Introduction to the Politics of Animal Protection
- So what exactly is "Animal Rights"
- The Australian Welfare Strategy
- Changes in the Board of ANZCCART
- Report on the ANZCCART Conference 2005
- Changes to the Use of Animals for Teaching Scientific Concepts in Victorian Schools
2004: Volume 17, Issues 1-3
- Fact Sheet: The Role of Veterinarians in the Care and Use of Animals in Research and Teaching
- Student conscientious objection - should policy precede practice?
- Ethics and invertebrates: a French view.
- The use of animals for scientific purposes - the Queensland perspective.
- Animal replacement and pain minimisation.
- The medical relevance of using particular species in disease models - lessons from fetal sheep studies down under.
- Moving towards a national legislative approach to animal welfare.
- How humane is induction with common agents of anaesthesia and euthanasia in laboratory rodents?
- Cleverness and consciousness in animals: pronghorns and fiddler crabs.
- Recent advances in anaesthesia in guinea pigs.
- Can big physics help save animals?
2003: Volume 16, Issues 1-3
- Ethical decisions- responsibilities and outcomes
- Functional and Chemical Genomics in the Zebrafish.
- Welfare considerations in aquatic animals.
- Animal welfare in Western Australia.
- Morality and animal research.
- Monitoring the Fate of Wild, Native Bird Populations: 'Invasive' versus Non-invasive Techniques
- The Effects of History and Habitat on the Genetic and Relatedness Structure of the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat, Lasiorhinus latifrons
- Meeting community expectations for animal-based science: an Australian perspective
- Towards humane vertebrate pest control.
- Animal research in Tasmania
- Compliance issues: Compliance with the legislation governing the care and use of animals in research and teaching
- High tech animal facility provides ideal environment
2002: Volume 15, Issues 1-3
- Ethical issues relating to transgenic animal production
- Welfare audits for farm animals and implications for transgenic animals
- Animal use in veterinary science teaching
- Queensland’s new Animal Welfare and Protection Act
- Learning, animals and the environment changing the face of the future
- Respect for animals through the eyes of a molecular evolutionist
- The moral status of animals
- Animal welfare in institutions of teaching and research: where have we come from and where are the goal posts now?
- Research priority areas for the Alternative Sustainable Swine Production Program
- Conflicts of interest affecting the role of veterinarians in animal welfare
- From menagerie to conservation centre - the changing role of zoos in world-wide conservation programs
- Use of pouch young removal and cross-fostering techniques to accelerate breeding and recruitment in the threatened Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby, Petrogale penicillata
2001: Volume 14, Issues 1-4
- The culture and agriculture of animal production
- Experimental research with laboratory animals: one sex or both?
- Review of issues relating to animals in health research
- Factors contributing to the acceptance of biotechnology
- The sheep-an ideal model for biomedical research?
- The current status of alternatives to animal experiments in China
- Marsupials as models for biomedical research
- Sustainability and animal welfare with reference to developments in poultry welfare
- New Zealand Royal Commission on genetic modification
- Fact Sheet: Managing fallow deer (Dama dama) and red deer (Cervus elaphus) for animal house research
- The welfare of transgenic animals - an AEC lay member's perspective
- Legal and ethical aspects of working with wildlife, with particular reference to Africa.
- Non-destructive and non-invasive sampling of volatile compounds produced by live animals.
- Independent review of AECs.
2000: Volume 13, Issues 1-4
- Dr Michael Festing to lead workshops this year in Australia and New Zealand
- Animal welfare legislation in Australia for the future - what scope is there for a national approach?
- Changes to animal welfare legislation around Australia
- Facts Sheet: Development and Use of Transgenic Rodents in Preclinical Research - Practical Issues
- Genetically modified mice: past, present and future
- Serological evidence for the presence of herpes B virus in macaques in Australia
- Microbanding: a low impact permanent marking technique for small reptiles and frogs as an alternative to toe clipping
- Facts Sheet: How to Reduce the Number of Animals Used in Research by Improving Experimental Design and Statistics
- Mapping the moral landscape - bioethics, biotechnology and science
- To change or not to change? A question for humane education
- Animal experimentation legislation in Hong Kong
- Report on the possible effects of cold and wind on sheep housed in the CSIRO Animal Production, Armidale, large animal house
- Zebrafish - Do we need another vertebrate model?
- Research using nonhuman primates: Only Two Rs?
- Comments on the introduction of wild caught animals to the laboratory
- Should an animal welfare officer be a veterinarian?
1999: Volume 12, Issues 1-4
- Facts Sheet: The Frog and Toad as Experimental Animals (Revised 2009)
- Committees and conflict resolution
- Ducks as a model for studies of human hepatitis
- Careful how you hold me - a review of a training package
- Facts Sheet: on the Importation, Quarantine and Monitoring of Laboratory Animals, Particularly Rodents, for Issue in Australia
- Animal Experimentation Ethics Committees in the United Kingdom
- Replacement and reduction of animal usage in teaching physiology and pharmacology at the University of Queensland
- Flooring for housed sheep
- The use of laboratory animals in South Taiwan
- Third World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences
- DNA sequence similarity: where is the baseline?
- Humanity and the great apes
- Ethical and welfare aspects of transgenic animals.
- Facts Sheet: Pain - Assessment, Alleviation and Avoidance in Laboratory Animals
- Do fish feel pain?
- Minimising the harm and maximising the benefits of animal use in science
- New Animal Welfare Act in New Zealand
1998: Volume 11, Issues 1-4
- Promoting awareness of the Three Rs
- Can animals behave irrationally?
- Numbers used for animal experimentation in Australia and New Zealand
- Fact Sheet: The Importance of Non-statistical Design in Refining Animal Experimentation
- How many animals?
- Animal replacement and reduction: multimedia teaching aids in behavioural pharmacology
- The current legal status of animal experimentation in Israel
- Fact Sheet: Occupational Health and Safety in the Animal House and Associated Laboratory Facilities
- Transgenesis and animals in research - an overview of animal welfare considerations
- Regulation of animal use in research, testing and teaching in New Zealand
- Animal groups put the Australian research community 'on notice' over AEC performance
- The Boyd Group
- Chytridiomycosis - a new disease of amphibians
- Two Massey University's initiatives to promote Animal Welfare
1997: Volume 10, Issues 1-4
- Facts sheet on The Dog
- Review of the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- The value of AECs
- The functioning of a busy NZ AEC
- The use of pigs for research with examples of research on housing and handling
- An improved method for housing laboratory frogs and toads using a miniature ecosystem
- Modular bioreactors as an alternative to ascitic fluid production of monoclonal antibodies
- Facts Sheet: Variables in Animal Based Research: Part 1. Phenotypic Variability in Experimental Animals
- The National Statistics Package - background and progress
- Polyclonal antibody production and adjuvants - a dilemma
- ANZCCART - The First 10 years
- USA Animal Welfare Centre
- The establishment of a new Animal Welfare Centre in Melbourne
- Animal Welfare in New Zealand - Concepts, Committees, Consultation and Codes of Practice
- Professor David Morton visits Australia
- Survey of New Zealand Animal Ethics Committees
ANZCCART News: Index to Volumes 1 - 10, 1988 - 1997