Welcome to ComPass
This free online course covers the Australian Code and NZ Guide and welfare issues relating to animal use in research and teaching. Successful completion of Phase one of the course and its quiz fulfills the mandated basic training needs of researchers and teachers using animals as well as members of Animal Ethics Committees (AEC) in Australia and NZ (except AEC members in Victoria who are required to complete the Animal Welfare Victoria training).
The aim is to standardize and augment the training offered for animal users in research and teaching throughout Australasia by offering this free online interactive and resource-rich course to all who need this training.
Attention All ComPass Core Module Users:
On July 7, 2021, the currently available Core modules were updated to add new NZ-relevant links and content as well as updating some of the broken Australian web links. This will mean that unfortunately you have now lost access to any unfinished work that you had already started in original Core Modules 1-7 prior to the update. Access to your certificate link for the completed Core Module 8 (quiz) should remain. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
The stand-alone techniques modules in Phase 2 are not changed and access to partially-completed modules of Phase 2 remains intact. This notice applies only to the Core Modules 1-8.
Thank you for using ComPass. Here’s hoping that the NZ users are better served by these changes. Hearty thanks go to Dr Jodi Salinsky, AWO, University of Auckland, for her help in these NZ-focused upgrades!
Core Mandated Training for AEC Members and Animal Users
Phase I consists of 7 core modules which cover the legislation, what an AEC is, writing a good application to the AEC, research project planning, the 3Rs, assessing and monitoring well being, adverse events management and euthanasia considerations. Please read the course instructions below prior to enrolling.
- The course link will take you to a landing page, with a fox on it.
- Click on Enrol to initiate your registration. Fill in the registration details
- An email will be sent quickly to you with access to the course that is hosted by University of Adelaide on its Canvas Catalog learning management system.
- You will see your name in the top right corner. Click on your name and select Canvas – this will take you to the Canvas Catalog course front page.
- Open the Course (click on the text below the fox image) in the Canvas system and you will find the list of Core modules.
- Each module has to be opened and completed before you can progress to the next module and ultimately to the quiz.
- The modules also contain a case study and practice questions to prepare for the final quiz.
- At the end of each module, you will need to press exit (Button in the top right corner of the page).
- Close the window and then click on the next module.
- Repeat until you finish the 7 content modules and the quiz.
- After successfully completing the quiz with a pass mark of 80%, you will automatically generate a certificate proving that you have completed the course for your AEC.
- Completion of the course should take about three-four hours.
Competency Training and Knowledge Base
Phase 2 has stand alone modules, each with an individual certificate of completion so you can choose those topics relevant to your needs. The following modules are available now with more to come.
- Aseptic Technique
- Minimally Invasive Techniques Without Anaesthesia, Including Wildlife Trapping
- Anaesthesia for Minor Procedures
- Anaesthesia for Major Procedures
- Surgery Principles, Methods and Materials
- Performing a Systematic Post-Mortem Examination
- Establishing and Managing a Rodent Breeding Colony
Module to come soon:
- Behavioural Testing in Rodents
Competency Assessment Tools
Phase 3 will contain checklists for the techniques in Phase 2 and is still being developed.
University Veterinarian Resources
This phase is still in the planning stages.
We hope that this course proves to be a really useful addition for your training needs for both animal users and AEC members.
If you have technical issues please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as possible.
David Mason and the ANZCCART Board, Gail Anderson, Chris Wadey and the ComPass team
ComPass Launch - Webinar Recording, 1 December 2020