Welcome to ComPass
This free online course covers the Australian Code and NZ Guide and welfare issues relating to animal use in research and teaching. Successful completion of the Phase one of the course and its quiz fulfills the mandated basic training needs of researchers and teachers using animals as well as members of Animal Ethics Committees (AEC) in Australia and NZ.
The aim is to standardize and augment the training offered for animal users in research and teaching throughout Australasia by offering this free online interactive and resource-rich course to all who need this training. This forms the first of several training phases that will be introduced in greater detail in the webinar.
Seven core modules cover the legislation, what an AEC is, writing a good application to the AEC, research project planning, the 3Rs, assessing and monitoring wellbeing, adverse events management and euthanasia considerations.
- The course link will take you to a landing page, with a fox on it.
- Click on Enrol to initiate your registration. Fill in the registration details
- An email will immediately be sent to you with access to the course that is hosted by University of Adelaide on its Canvas Catalog learning management system.
- You will see your name in the top right corner. Click on your name and select Canvas – this will take you to the Canvas Catalog course front page.
- Open the Course (click on the text below the fox image) in the Canvas system and you will find the list of Core modules.
- Each module has to be opened and completed before you can progress to the next module and ultimately to the quiz.
- The modules also contain a case study and practice questions to prepare for the final quiz.
- At the end of each module, you will need to press exit (Button in the top right corner of the page).
- Close the window and then click on the next module.
- Repeat until you finish the 7 content modules and the quiz.
- After successfully completing the quiz with a pass mark of 80%, you will automatically generate a certificate proving that you have completed the course for your AEC.
- Completion of the course should take about three-four hours.
Please be patient though as for any significant technical bugs we are dependent on the Education Team at the University of Adelaide for help, so it may take a little time to sort. COVID-19 has kept the entire Education Team pretty busy with all the increased online demands.
We hope that this course proves to be a really useful addition for your training needs for both animal users and AEC members. Stay tuned for the next phases that will be individual modules, rather than a full course, so that users can pick what is most relevant to their needs.
If you have technical issues please email us at email@example.com
David Mason and the ANZCCART Board,
Gail Anderson, Chris Wadey and the ComPass team.
ComPass Launch - Webinar Recording, 1 December 2020